Monday, September 8, 2008

Volunteering

A few months ago I mentioned that I'd agreed to co-chair our school's Auction, which aside from the capital campaign is the biggest fundraiser they have each year. Although it was a tough decision at first, because of how time consuming it is, I set up firm parameters with my co-chair, parameters that will allow me to fall asleep at night without worrying how to price the sterling silver necklace that was donated for silent auction.

My co-chair is great; she's like me two kids ago with boundless energy and great ideas. She's incredibly organized and well connected. I'm enjoying working with her immensely.

The event will be at the Marriott in Alpharetta, a location we have held Auction in the past. The space meets our needs perfectly, the price means we will be able to turn a profit on ticket sales, and the community is happy we've selected it again. It's so nice to be involved with something so exciting.

Tonight at dinner I was discussing some of the details with my family, and one of my children asked why I wanted to spend so much time on planning this big party. I was stumped for a minute and then I found my words and shared with him how important I think it is to give back to a place that gives so much to our family.

There are many benefits of being involved, such as getting to know the families at school, supporting the dedicated staff, and being an important part of our children’s education. My main reason for volunteering is that, along with a group of very committed parents, I am helping to change the world where my son spends his days.

No comments: