Saturday, September 13, 2008

Black bean brownies

Sounds pretty gross, doesn't it? My friend Gina and I were talking about brownies and how they are a weakness of ours, and she suggested a tip she learned at Weight Watchers. When making a box of brownies, instead of the oil and eggs, add a can of black beans. Can you imagine? The good thing about this is you're lowering the fat considerably and upping the fiber big time. Since all three of my kids tend to um, how can I say this delicately? Since they tend to get a bit backed up, I am always trying to increase their fiber intake.

Normally I make Barefoot Contessa's Outrageous Brownies , but in a pinch I'll buy Ghiardelli brownie mix. It's pretty close to BC's, and much less time intensive. So today that's what my husband picked up, and although I normally bake with my 5 year old, I made the brownies on my own so he wouldn't see the secret ingredient. No one even noticed anything was different. It's hard to believe, but I'll make them like this again for sure.

When Jessica Seinfeld's book was all the rage, I made a few of those recipes, including cookies made with chick peas. Over the years I've hidden vegetables in things like tomato sauce, but Jessica inspired me to try chicken tenders and fish fillets dipped in sweet potatoes and squash as well as pancakes made with an orange puree of I'm not sure what. Most of the time the boys realize that something's different, which is why I was surprised the black bean brownies went over so well.

No comments: