Saturday, March 15, 2008

Decisions

Never has decision making been as hard for me as it has been the past few months. Especially as it pertains to my children, it is so important to me that I make the right decision. Of course there's no way to know if what we choose really is the best path, but sometimes I anticipate that feeling that will let me know we chose wisely.

There are school decisions (private or homeschool), medical (vaccinate or not), home (the most we can afford, or conservative choice), financial (vacation or savings), food (organic or not), and the list goes on and on. Although I know I can't operate this way, sometimes I wish I was the type to go with whatever is suggested by the expert in each field.

If so, I'd be sending my kids to the public school up the block since everyone raves about it. They'd all be up to date on all vaccinations, we'd live in this house forever, we'd have enough in savings to afford lots of great vacations having saved over $100k in tuition over the past 7 years, and we'd buy whatever is on sale at the grocery store.

But I wouldn't be happy. Although I'm no martyr, I'd much rather skip vacations this year if it means giving my kids the education I want them to have, or the size home I feel we need.

We did make a decision about next year's schooling, which is a huge weight off our (my) shoulders. We will continue sending our second son to private school for K, and homeschool his big brother at least for one year (5th). This decision was made partially due to finances and partially due to the fact that we've not been impressed by his experience in 4th this year, and want to avoid the same for next year. Middle school is reportedly much better at the school, so we plan to send him back the following year.

More on homeschooling in another post.

No comments: