Saturday, December 22, 2007

Fa la la la blah

No matter how hard I try, I just can't get into the holiday spirit this year. Even my usual tricks are not working; holiday music, shopping, and baking are just not doing it for me. I really want to enjoy the season, especially since it's the baby's first, but I just feel so blah about the whole thing.

We got back from Orlando last Sunday, and the weather there was perfect, which made coming back to our dreary (albeit moderate) weather depressing. I want the sun to shine all year long, I never want to be hot or cold, and I want to feel the breeze every day too. The weather here is gray and it has been drizzling off and on for days, so we've not felt like doing much (ok, anything) outdoors.

I picked up the last two Christmas presents today, for my husband. We still have quite a bit of wrapping to do and since I'm not good at it, I don't enjoy it and therefore leave it for the very last minute.

We've been trying to go for a walk every Sunday right after breakfast, so tomorrow I assume we'll do that. We're having a really low-key holiday this year as most of my extended family is not coming into town until a few days after Christmas. On Christmas Eve it will be the five of us for tapas, and Christmas Day we'll have my mom and her husband over for a late afternoon dinner. The whole meal is comprised of items I've never made before. I watched Jamie Oliver make a rib roast on Martha Stewart's show a few weeks ago and it looked really great and relatively easy. It uses a horseradish rub, and I am all about horseradish. To accompany the roast I'll have roasted root vegetables and scalloped potatoes, as well as steamed asparagus. For dessert I'm making another Jamie dish, a carrot cake with lime mascarpone icing. Yum!

My husband and I decided not to exchange gifts this year, instead we're doing stocking stuffers only. This week a package arrived from Sephora, which made me wonder what exactly his definition of stocking stuffer is. Hopefully we're on the same page so that neither one of us is disappointed on Christmas morning.

No comments: