Sunday, November 4, 2007

New Store Excitement

Imagine my surprise when I drove up to the new Target on the corner of Roswell Road and Johnson Ferry Road, and saw that it was big enough for a parking garage. Since I shop at night a lot, I actually don't like that (kinda creepy) but there is also above ground parking. The coolest feature of this two level store is that there is an escalator for shopping carts, so that when you're leaving the store to head out to the garage and do not want to take the elevator, you place your shopping cart on the cart escalator and it goes right down next to you. It doesn't take much to excite me, apparently, because I stood there for a good minute watching other people test out the cart escalator. And then, even though I didn't have enough items to necessitate a shopping cart, I ran and grabbed one just so I could watch it ride downstairs.

I was wondering if the fact that the store was new would mean not as many clearance items, but that was not the case at all. The Halloween clearance however was picked over and the only type of candy I was able to get was Reeces Pieces. I did pick up a really nice fall door hanger to replace the one a mouse in our slab basement ate over the winter. I wish I knew why my husband still puts things in the slab basement knowing that there are sometimes rodent visitors that stop by and eat through anything they can find. I also picked up a pair of leggings for the baby for $2.48. I'm not sure what made them part of the Halloween clearance since they were black with pink, green, and orange polka dots, but I was happy to get them for such a low price. Disposable clothing for the kids can be a good thing sometimes, especially now that we're not planning on any more little ones.

There was a Kmart in the shopping center across from the new Target, and it was advertised as undergoing renovations. I almost stepped foot in there a few weeks ago (first time) because Martha Stewart stuff was on deep clearance, but for some reason or another I didn't. A few days a go the Kmart sign was removed and in its place went a Sears sign. Normally I wouldn't get excited about Sears, but they will have a full line of Lands' End products. I buy a lot of LE for the kids and my husband and always end up having to run to the mall to return whatever doesn't fit, so having a stand alone Sears store close to school will save me lots of time.

I've been thinking about what other stores I'd like to see go up and all I could think of was a drive thru Starbucks on my side of town. There's not much over here other than a Bruster's and a couple of chain pizza places. A girl can dream, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.