Tuesday, December 25, 2007

In which I start practicing what I preach

I talk a good game, I really do. And I absolutely 100% believe in organic food, avoiding trans fats, food coloring, and high fructose corn syrup. I know the importance of balancing the amount of protein and carbs in my kids' diets, and mine for that matter. I love to cook and to me that means cooking from scratch. We love water and drink it all day long. Plastic? Avoid it. Disposable diapers? Don't use them. And yet....

Towards the end of my third trimester (did I mention I went almost 43 weeks in the SUMMER in Atlanta?) this last time, I stopped enjoying cooking and planning. Sure, I could have packed snacks for everyone when we drove somewhere, but it was much easier to go through ChickFilA's drive thru to pick up some nuggets and fries, or Smoothie King, or even Steak n Shake. And once you start eating that way, you crave it more, I am convinced of it.

And where under normal circumstances a snack would mean cheese, nuts, fruit, whole grain crackers, and pretzels, the packaged snacks aisle at Trader Joe's and Harry's/Whole Foods became my friend. Joe's O's? Got 'em. Cat's Cookies? Got those too. The remote control was often orange from the "organic" cheese puffs. For the first time in my adult life, I programmed the phone number to the pizza place that delivers into my cell AND my home phone. And somewhere in there, my oldest had Sprite for the first time and loved it. Ten years with ZERO soda and now he's got a habit.

Enough. In 2008 I once again begin practicing what I preach. We are going back to home cooked meals most nights. Fast food once a month at the most and when I absolutely can not manage something better. Trail mix made at home from organic nuts and dried fruit, along with sesame sticks and pretzels. Smoothies made in my smoothie machine with good fruit plus flax seed oil and soy protein powder. Exercise five times a week for me, as I've turned into a slug.

I feel like Stella getting her groove back.

No comments: