Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Why CookShopLove?

Clearly I'm stealing a cute title idea from Elizabeth Gilbert. When reading her book, I thought a lot about three words I'd use to describe my life.

The cook part should be fairly obvious. When I moved into my first adult home, I was a pretty lame cook. The first time I tried to roast a chicken I forgot to take the innards out and so when my husband came home from work he walked in to a smoke filled kitchen. In tears, I told him to just throw the stupid chicken out, and I felt pretty foolish when he pointed out that the bag of stuff had to be removed before cooking the chicken. Times sure have changed; it's not rare for me to make an involved new recipe with multiple ingredients for a weeknight dinner all while helping my 9 year old with his homework, reading a book to my 4 year old, or nursing my 3 month old! I credit the change with good cookbooks, friends who enjoy cooking and eating as much as I do, and Food Network.

Shopping is obvious too. I do love to shop. Always have and probably always will. I can't think of anything I don't love to shop for except bedding (too many choices and they're all boring). Lately I've spent most of my time in Gap and Borders, buying clothes for everyone and birthday gifts for children whose parties my kids have been invited to.

On to the love. As I mentioned above, I am the mother of three children. My oldest will turn 10 next month. I am planning a huge surprise party for him, and since I love to plan and entertain as much as I love to cook and shop, I'm in my element.

My second child is 4½. We celebrated his half birthday with a small celebration that included a dairy free, egg free cake thanks to the carpool teacher who, when he told her it was his half birthday, said "Are you going to have half a cake tonight?". Thanks a LOT, Mrs. I! I didn't realize until it was too late that we had no milk or eggs, and my husband was out of town so there was no way I was dragging three kids and my tired self to the grocery store.

My daughter was born at the end of June and is so sweet. I absolutely love having babies. She nurses well, sleeps even better, and smiles all day long. What more can you ask for?

No comments: