Monday, March 14, 2011

Back where it belongs

The five of us accumulate a lot of stuff. Paper, plastic toys, coins, rocks, and so much more find their way into our house and onto every empty surface. Every time I turn around I am organizing a closet, or picking toys up off the floor and then in what seems like minutes later, I am repeating once again.

What I try to work on with my kids is that everything should go back where it belongs. I find that putting something in a temporary place doesn't save any time.

And yet, even I am guilty of dropping the mail on the kitchen counter, or taking off my jewelry in the dining room and leaving it there for days (inevitably it will stay there until I am frantically looking for that specific piece). So, my goal this week is to get myself back into the habit of putting each and every item I touch back where it belongs.

Once I'm back in habit, I will try and convince the kids to practice what I preach. And then maybe, just maybe, when Noah is looking for a charger for his phone, or Luke is searching for a special rock he found at school, they will know just where to find it.

No comments: