Sunday, May 1, 2011

Chili

Chili happens to be one of the foods that everyone in the family absolutely loves. Because of that I rarely modify my tried and true recipe(below). However, on Saturday while at the gym, I watched a Barefoot Contessa show where she and a friend were making chili that looked divine. (recipe also below) And yes, I do watch cooking shows at the gym, so what? ;-)

Because it requires about five hours of prep and cook time, and I was rushing home so that Greg and Luke could go to a birthday party, I didn't make it last night, but I would have had I had the time! On their way home from the party, they picked up all the ingredients and after lunch today I started dicing onions, garlic, and green peppers.

As soon as I added the seasoning, everyone asked what the great smell was. While it was simmering, I made guacamole (my simple recipe below) and fresh corn chips--so easy, slice corn tortillas into triangles, spray with olive oil, dust with sea salt, bake. I also cut up raw vegetables to eat with the dinner, but everyone was so ravenous before dinner that I placed the vegetable tray on the table and watched it get emptied before we even sat down to eat.

We couldn't wait to try the chili, and it didn't disappoint. I knew that it would be very spicy as prepared on the show, so I cut most of the seasoning in half, and even with that it still had a welcome kick with each bite.

Luke was happy to eat the beans and vegetables, and of course add cheese on top, but he's not a huge steak/beef eater. Greg had two huge servings, and a few hours after dinner, Noah went back for seconds as well. Score!

This is a recipe I'll definitely make again.

Devon's Award-Winning Chili

Ingredients

* 5 pounds beef brisket, cut in 1-inch cubes
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 cups chopped yellow onions
* 6 large garlic cloves, minced
* 2 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, crushed
* 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
* 2 tablespoons ground cumin
* 2 green peppers, seeded and diced
* 1 bay leaf
* 6 cups tomatoes, chopped with their liquid
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup strong coffee
* 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans
* 2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves

Directions

Pat the brisket cubes dry with paper towels. Heat the oil in a very large heavy-bottomed pot and quickly brown the meat, in batches, on all sides. Transfer the brisket to a separate bowl and set aside. Saute the onion and garlic in the same oil over medium heat until limp, but not brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the chili powder, pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and cumin and saute for 1 minute. Add the green peppers, bay leaf, tomatoes with their juice, the reserved meat, 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and simmer for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with salt, to taste. Add the coffee, cover the pot and simmer for 1 more hour.

Add the kidney beans and basil, and warm through. Transfer the chili to a large serving bowl and serve with sour cream, grated Cheddar, diced tomato, tortilla chips and guacamole.

Suzanne's Award Winning Chili (ok, not really)


Ingredients

One pound grass fed ground beef
One can dark red kidney beans (or if you plan ahead, a bag of beans that you soak and cook; if you do get a can, make sure they don't have HFCS, many do)
One can chili beans or pinto beans depending on how spicy you want the dish to be
One 28oz can of diced tomatoes--I like the Muir Glen Fire Roasted
One 8oz can of tomato paste
One yellow pepper, diced
One orange pepper, diced
One half green pepper, diced
One cup yellow onion, diced
Two garlic cloves, minced
Chili powder, red pepper flakes, sea/kosher salt, pepper--all to taste

Directions

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil for about five minutes, then add ground beef that has already been salted. Brown meat, remove from heat. In a large stockpot or crockpot, add all ingredients. Simmer/cook on low for 2-6 hours.

My absolute favorite accompaniment is Trader Joe's cornbread, as it is the only cornbread that I've ever made--either from scratch or a box--that is subtly sweet, very moist, and crunchy on the outside. LOVE! And, I like to shred two types of cheese, cheddar and something like monterey jack or pepper jack.

Sometimes I think chili is even better the next day, and I can't wait to have some for lunch tomorrow with a few saltines.

Guacamole

Ingredients

Two avocados
Eight grape tomatoes or one plum tomatoes
Juice from one lime
Tablespoon of chopped cilantro
Lots of salt, to taste

My only real trick is that I take the seeds out of the tomatoes, and give them a rough dice. I use a spoon and mash the ingredients, but not too much because I like a few chunks.

Let me know if you try any of these recipes!

No comments: